Once you get a job you are excited, may be you had a nice party with friends and relatives and one fine morning you are ready to walk into your office. The first 90 days are crucial for you to make a good impression at work but it might be very stressful for you if you are not aware of certain things to follow. So let’s see what you possibly needed to do when you join the company.
First you need a plan of action and perseverance to survive this 90-day / 6 months training or probationary period. Your career journey may be physically , emotionally exhausting and overwhelming at times but facing challenges in some form is part of life for everyone. Here are your 90 days tips.
1. The first point is that you are no longer a student or intern; you’re an employee. You must get organized and you are responsible for your actions or in actions.
2. There will certainly be numerous documents from the Human Resource Department and valuable work related tools and notes from your new boss, co-workers, and, in some cases, subordinates. This paperwork and use of tools should be taken care in a timely manner. You cannot postpone actions to last day or last minutes in career since it reflects in your performance review negatively.
3. Dressing well is important because your attire , how you walk and speak creates the “first impressions ” on others which are hard to change later
4. When you show up for work the first day, you should be knowledgeable of what your department does and what kind of work you will be doing.
5. You might have briefings about company and its work culture You should learn as much as possible from this orientation. Make friends as much as possible. Be eager to learn new things and show interest in knowing your work.
6. You need to check if you need a badge to walk into the office. You need to know when the badge works during the day and when you stay late make sure you let the security person know about it so if your badge does not work they will open the doors for you.
7. Get a copy of your company’s most recent rules and regulations and learn them well.
8. Personalize your work area, but keep it simple, clean and elegant. Get a nameplate so everyone will know who you are.
9. Remember the names of those you are introduced to and know whom you will be working with. Meet them and be smiling and friendly.
10. If your employer provides the option, have your salary set up for direct deposit to your bank account. It will save you time and hassle of depositing each pay check and will give you quicker access to your money.
11. Punctuality is vital! Finish off your coffee/tea or refreshments and be ready at your desk on time or few minutes earlier.
12. Always carry a notepad or pocket organizer with you. Get in a routine of writing down thoughts, ideas, and information from others. Before you forget!
13. Develop a good daily routine of what needs to be done regularly. Use technology to your benefit.
14. Greetings in a company environment is a part of protocol, a simple “hello” or “good morning” with a smile on the face is necessary.
15. Plan your next day work before leaving present day.
16. Keep a toothbrush and fresh mints in your desk for bad breath while eating garlic, or other spicy food that smells.
17. Arrive at meetings on time and focus on what is said.
18. Refrain from daydreaming or feeling sleepy at meetings. Your co-worker’s briefings may end up as part of your work. You should develop listening skills when you are still a student.
19. If you bring your lunch, great! It will save both time and money. If you go to the company cafeteria, be sociable. Here’s an opportunity to meet other people in the corporation and make friends.
20. During extra time at lunch or breaks, try going for a brisk walk or a stretching routine, to be alert again in the afternoon. A little exercise after lunch keeps you away from afternoon nap.
21. If you are not sure about your work get clarification but just don’t assume somebody will feel bad if you ask for help and also don’t wait for someone to come and give you work. Every one in office are busy doing their work so you have the responsibility of knowing what you are supposed to work on right away and go ask for work. Your positive attitude to become productive as soon as possible creates a good impression on your boss and others.
22. Just don’t spend all the salary on parties or buying non essential stuff for the first few months or rest of your career life. Consult elders or financial experts on how to save money for long term and also save on income taxes by depositing money in PPF or tax exemption policies offered by insurance and banking sectors
23.Having the habit of quickly mastering the work and making a name as valuable employee helps you to gain good will of your bosses and helps you to get promoted to higher positions that helps you to achieve what you dream of.
Hard work , sincerity ,humbleness, dedication, smartness, willing to learn new skills, helping others, keeping good health and having good listening skills are some great characters that helps you reach great heights in corporate world and in personal life. Good luck to you and remember to reach me with your questions or feelings thru a comment on this post.