The Boston consulting group predicts that 10% to 30% of the goods that America now imports from China will be made at home by the year 2020, resulting in proceeds of up to $55 Billion a year.
The maker’s movement is gaining strength with rapid advancements in some technologies such as 3D printing and the new concept of distributed manufacturing becoming real.
Earlier prototyping of products have to be done either in China or elsewhere with tens of thousands of Dollars in costs but now a lot of prototyping of products are happening locally and resulting in low cost and the turnover is very rapid.
The above are some of the trends in product manufacturing which needs certain standardization in order to streamline the creativity, resources, money and new inventions in proper direction to solve the planets ever changing requirements.
Here is what I propose.
- It all starts with Inventory part nomenclature standardization. I wrote a blog on this topic here. time-standardize-inventory-parts-data
- An international team of manufacturing experts should be nominated for framing the standardization process for inventory nomenclature and product family/grouping and product structure nomenclature.
- The team will be formulated by international trade organization (WTO) and will be initially funded by them until the whole process is completed and becomes self-sustainable.
- Long term Sustainability should be mandated to make this effort profitable by WTO. Some of the ideas for this are given below.
- The product structures should then be categorized on the same lines like Botanical nomenclature.
- Next we need to create a cloud platform where all product structures are made available for everyone to access, excluding some sensitive (Defence) and copy protected ones.
- Then we need to create Application programming interfaces (API) and other apps for accessing the Product structures by interested parties.
- The API ‘s and other apps should be flexible enough to allow users to create new structures from the existing ones and also where able to connect to their own databases to transfer the structures as needed.
- All the services should be charged for sustaining the standardization efforts.
- Guidelines should be mandated for product structure usage and migration to user’s internal usage.
- Guidelines also needed to monitor the new product inventions, accessibility of the new inventions and standardization of the same.
- All global language translations for the product structures should be undertaken by crowdsourcing the same.
- Every nation should have a team of experts to advice the core team on the standardization efforts and this team will be compensated from the WTO funds.
- Redundancy of Product structures will be eliminated and standardization will increase operational efficiency and reduce cost of procurement, administrative and other costs for users.
- Same quality products will now be available for global citizens on equal terms with only pricing variations.
- Makes it easy to source semi-finished products or materials at the fraction of a cost due to visibility of the same from across the planet. Helps in supply chain logistics efficiencies and also reduce costs of transportation. This in turn reduces global warming due to less use of Oil.
- The huge network of users will now be able to talk to each other and can create new business opportunities for themselves and indirectly to nations by creating new employment opportunities and new start-up companies.
- The flexibility to mix and match products on the fly becomes easy for new inventions and trigger new creative ideas and new products.
- Rapid prototyping of new product inventions becomes easy from the existing ones.
- New business ideas and new start-ups ideas are possible due to democratization of inventory nomenclature and Product structure nomenclature.
- Many of the benefits that I mentioned in the inventory standardization will also apply here.
Please let me know what you think