“Live and think like a child. Or have that childlike curiosity and wonder. That’s probably the most important trait you can have, especially as an entrepreneur. Brian Chesky, Cofounder of Airbnb”
Being an entrepreneur can be challenging, rewarding, frustrating, satisfying, disappointing, and exhilarating. But when you look back at your efforts you will have a state of mind called Bliss. You will never regret for trying your best even if you did not realize your dream.
In order to help you in your journey of becoming an entrepreneur I have taken up a real case of a start-up challenge on the Mygov.in portal and will explain how to create a start up from this.
Here is the link to the real challenge posted on the https://innovate.mygov.in/ site https://innovate.mygov.in/birac-innovation-challenge-award/ “Platform technologies for reducing the burden of Diseases (Communicable and Non-communicable diseases”
The problem (opportunity): is to prevent communicable and non-communicable disease from spreading.
Below I explained how to analyse, define, design and create a new Start-up on the above opportunity
A start up means there uncertainty, sweat, stress, self-doubt that one has to overcome first.
First finding a Good name for the start-up. In this case let’s call this company as “Consolidated Wellbeing Management Systems (CWMS)”
First step is to get clear idea of the opportunity by having a business model canvas.
Business model canvas
The Business Model Canvas offers a concise tool for thinking through the business and keeping the key points highly visible to you, your team and all other stakeholders.
Now we need to visualize the company’s present and future operations in the form of a Infographic. I used D3JS Java script , PHP and Xammp and developed the following structure. You may consider using other software tools.
Like a well-built home, great software focuses on giving its users hundreds of small, satisfying interactions.
“It looks different, it feels different and it sounds different.” Should be the feeling users should have.
We wanted to build something that can be used by many people from diverse backgrounds. Before writing the first line of code you should do some research, make plans, create to-do lists and sketches, and try to visualize what you will want to have in the end.
Since the Layout is too big to fit into one screen I have sliced it into multiple screenshots as follows to show the complete start-up hierarchy and its activities
The most important points to remember for a start-up is to know the last mile i.e you should be able to visualize your company 20 years forward and come backwords to have clear vision of how to sustain that long. Since this is a software based challenge what differentiates and sustains this company is choosing the right IT infrastructure and clearly understanding what value can be delivered to customers (citizens, Business Government agencies, Doctors Hospitals etc.).
Here are some important points to remember while developing the software platform.
- Very simple user interface with an eye on aesthetics and mindfulness that citizens with no technical background will be using the app.
- Minimalistic design such as a single button for citizens to just notify that they have a disease.
- Notification of the disease to nearest Health providers and government agencies.
- Speech recognition software for Doctors and Government agencies to add further information on the patient’s button click message.
- APP features for Health providers should have interface connection to AADHAR(India’s unique Id No), using http://indiastack.org/about/ (IndiaStack is a set of APIs that allows governments, businesses, startups and developers to generate patients profile, geographic locations and all other information) that allows Government and health providers to plan the logistics in controlling the disease spread.
- Planning the use of AI, IOT sensors and Machine learning tools to create a global software platform and integrate it with multiple health and other related infrastructure, scalability of operations, and performance of the software information systems is very essential.
- The integrated system should achieve the following goals.
- Allow citizens to report about the disease and alerting government and other agencies to notice that there is a disease about to spread.
- Allow health providers , government agencies and others to know about the geographical location of spreading disease
- Display the available transportation logistics to reach the location
- Display the nearest health care providers information, enable users to alert the concerned professionals, collect real time data on the spreading disease using IOT sensors at strategic locations such as hospitals.
- Allow Doctors to monitor the flow of patients and availability of medicines and support staff.
- Create a Dashboard for command and control monitoring at the federal and state level with all statistical information related to disease, transportation, location, costs and any other information needed for fast action.
- The software should be scalable, adoptable and should have operational efficiency and integration capabilities to future inventions such as Speech Recognition, IOT, Machine Intelligence and Artificial intelligence and integration to health Monitoring equipment’s.
- The software should be cloud based and should be hacker proof and should have integration with all payment gateways Example fo Cloud based service providers are 1. Microsoft Azure 2. Amazon Web Services AWS IBM 4.SalesForce 5.SAP
In India top 10 cloud services providers are Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Infosys Limited, Wipro Limited ,Cipher Cloud, CtrlS Datacenters Ltd.
Next Blog will have more deeper analysis on this subject. Thanks for reading. Comments and suggestions are welcome.