In our school and college days we have seen how sports are conducted. For example if there is a running race then there are clearly marked paths on which the runners have to run. That means they have a starting point and a finishing point. Without a set path there is a chance that the runners can run from any point and end at any point. That means they have a direction to follow. In life we also need a direction to focus and succeed in whatever we wish to achieve. We also need skills such as determination, right attitude and knowledge. We measure distances with a ruler, time by the ticks of a clock and small steps of progress by tasks scratched off our list. We are judged by others on what we achieved in life not by what you think internally that you can achieve. We judge ourselves based on our assumptions about us. Suppose if you think you can manage in interview without knowing proper English or not having sufficient communication skills you are ruining your chances of succeeding. Even if luck favors you and you get thru the interview you will get stuck in the career without growth until you acquire skills needed to progress. If you don’t get the habit of preparing well in advance whether for exams or for interview you are no different from a Gambler.
People can definitely succeed if they spend at least some few hours of every day on developing their skills. If you choose to avoid the hard question to know about your weakness you may loose an opportunity. Those are life changing moments sometimes.
Remember that we waste lot of time in a day that doesn’t add value to our lives. The fun of mastering some skills stays with you lifelong. So obviously you need to focus on the most important skills you need, to become a successful person
What you can do is sit alone and just write down honestly what is your goals or aspirations and what is your weakness (for example not having good communication skills etc) and what it requires you to master that skill. Until you resist the influences of the surroundings and other time wasting activities you cannot make it to the top. The most productive hours of your life should not be wasted. They belong to you and you are the master of your destiny. So your destiny is in your hand. As we strongly believe in god remember god blesses only those who work sincerely towards their intentions and wishes.
Never assume we know it all and Never assume that what we think is correct.
Consider the following.
1) At the top of a blank piece of paper write this heading “I assume that the following points are important” for me to succeed.
2) Then, start a new section with the heading, “These things influence my mind and divert my attention from achieving success in life” It should include time spent every day on unproductive things that does not add value for you to become successful.
3) Now list all the things that help you to learn the skills needed Take advice from your parents, Professors, teachers etc for better results.
4) At the end of this list… “I assume there’s nothing else I could add to this list”
5) Right at the very bottom write the following… “I assume all of the above is true.” You need to focus on what it needs to reach your goals.
Motivation is of two types “motivated from an inner urge or an outside push.”
If you’re working hard because of your own desire for excellence that will actually lead to greater satisfaction, psychological health ,success in life and career.
But if you’re pursuing goals because of pressure from others — parents, teachers, bosses, peers — that’s likely to take you down the path of dissatisfaction and reduced well-being.
So motivating yourselves to learn things that help you in succeeding in career and life should be considered as your most important goal.
As you learn new skills you can use the following guidelines.
Monitor your performance. Note areas in which you excel and areas you need improvement.
Learn Communication skills by reading , listening and watching great speakers.
Realize that failures and mistakes are just one step on the road to success.
Recognize that being aware of the impact that your behavior has on other people is a critical leadership skill and it will influence your success or failure in getting what you want.
Remember that when criticism is difficult to accept, there is probably some truth to it and you should start thinking of correcting the faults
And, finally, learn to give yourself and others credit for improving.
Learning skills takes time and your interest to put some effort.
Getting your first job is the beginning of a career where your personal skills such as effective communication, problem solving, managing people /work and handling pressure situations will be tested and will decide your Success in life and career growth. While you are still going to college it is a mandatory to acquire skills that employers are looking for as mentioned above and also learn technology tools, social networks usage etc. But don’t think you can learn these skills in the final year of college. Employable skills need time to practice and you cannot learn effective communication skills in English overnight in 10 days or a month. I advice you start assessing your skills right now and start learning them. For further advice contact us at skillsnest.
How you will ask advice at work is today’s topic for our blog.
When in trouble or not knowing what to do asking for help/Advice is a good thing. Advice seeking has very significant benefits. It increases the possibility of finding better solutions to genuine problems, while creating a richer and more productive relationship. The importance of this issue should not be overlooked How to ask for help — and how to do it right — is critical to doing your job well and setting yourself up for success. You may be afraid of looking dumb, but to be afraid to ask for and get the help you need is inexcusable. Typically we all ask for help or get clarifications by asking questions like ‘How do I do this’ or “how should I proceed with this” , “what to do next” etc but that won’t allow you to get the right help you are looking for.
Try the following tips
1. Start with what you know about the subject you need help with. Explain what you already know or at work how much you completed on your assignment (work) and where you are stuck with or what you are not able to do to finish the job.
2. Propose your thoughts on what you think about the solution and ask your boss for his/her advice if that is the right thing to do.
3. If you don’t know the direction to take or don’t know the solutions, ask for guidance. Instead of asking “What should I do?” ask specifically for the tools you’ll need to make that decision yourself, such as a recent example of a similar analysis or a template for a given task. Or, ask for a referral to someone who has worked on a similar initiative or project in the past.
In the vast majority of cases, you’ll get a lot further in your career by asking the tough, smart questions.